2017 marks Fish Tales’ 18th year of traveling to and fishing in Cuba. During that time we’ve experienced a lot of change – some of it good and some of it disappointing. The 2017 offering is new for us although we’ve fished the general area many times.
Saturday to Saturday June 3-10, 2017
Max 8 Guests (David Blair hosting – FULL)
We are very excited to be able to offer this trip. Fish Tales/Cuba Flats has fished the middle and eastern sections of the Salinas/Zapata area for many years, but now get a chance to see the vast wilderness of the western area. Several years ago David visited a small portion of this area and it is one of the highlights of all of his Cuban adventures. The guides will be discovering what lays “beyond” throughout next season. The San Lazaro area has been explored/fished the last several years but due to being land-based the boats had to go back each day by 3 pm which severely limited how far the guides could explore.
The Live Aboard boat (The Georgina) stationed in the cayes allows for the possibility to fish places where VERY few have cast a fly. By the time we are there in June, the guides will have a good handle on some of this new water. What excites David the most, and the reason we picked June, is the possibility of tarpon and permit along the deepwater areas and white sand cayes. It is entirely possible there may be some type of tarpon migration that is just waiting to be discovered! Due to EASY access to deep water there are many other species (Jacks, Cuda, Snapper, etc) that come up on the flats as well. There are also snook on the inshore areas which are challenging but fun.
The program: $4595 US
Due to our long history in the Zapata area we are able to offer a unique program:
- arrive in Varadero, Cuba on Saturday June 3rd-2017 and transfer to a beach front Casa Particular (Cuban B&B) in the sea side town of Playa Larga
- Sunday June 4th after breakfast transfer to the boat dock at the head of the San Lazaro Canal (about a 30 min drive). Take gear out to the live aboard (about a 45min trip including a “joy ride” through the narrow canal. Gear up and fish the remainder of the day.
- Monday through Friday fish hard with a unique program. There are two boats designed for 2 clients – 1 guide that have larger motors and are set up to explore the further western areas and 4 smaller boats set up for 1 on 1 client/guide ratio. This allows for approximately 1/2 the time in each type of boat. The smaller boats are ideal for exploring the areas in the eastern portion of the fishing zone (see map) due to how shallow some of the bonefish, snook, and permit areas get.
- Saturday June 10th early morning transfer back to Playa Larga and onto Varadero to head home on the afternoon flight.
- 1 night accommodation Playa Larga Casa Particular
- 6 nights accommodation Georgina Yacht
- 6 days guided fishing split between single & double occupancy
- 6 beverages per fishing day
- All meals
- Drinks while at Playa Larga
- Extra Drinks aboard the Georgina
- Guide/Boat staff Gratuities
- Flight to Varadero
- If you require different location/time transportation to Playa Larga there will be a surcharge
Trip deposit of 50% of trip cost required to hold booking. If you are interested in this new Cuban experience we encourage you to reserve your spot today. If we do not fill the boat we will need to release the week because the Georgina is in such demand. Contact the shop to reserve your spot today.
Watch this page for additional information on these trips. If you are interested in more information, please call us at 403-640-1273 or send an email with your inquiries.